“There is not a flower that opens, not a seed that falls into the ground, and not an ear of wheat that nods on the end of its stalk in the wind that does not preach and proclaim the greatness and the mercy of God to the whole world.” – Thomas Merton

“My personal life may be crowded with small petty incidents, altogether unnoticeable and mean; but if I obey Jesus Christ in the haphazard circumstances, they become pinholes through which I see the face of God, and when I stand face to face with God I will discover that through my obedience thousands were blessed. ” – Oswald Chambers

Monday, February 11, 2013

Awkward Non-Cognate

Today I was saying (in Spanish) how the fruitcake packaged by the large international companies would probably last longer than the supermarket ones, because they have more preservatives. Except I couldn't think of the right word, so I fished for a cognate and ended up saying they'd be good longer because they had more condoms.

I knew it was wrong even before I said it.

Here's an interesting list of more false cognates: http://spanish.about.com/cs/vocabulary/a/obviouswrong.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment