“There is not a flower that opens, not a seed that falls into the ground, and not an ear of wheat that nods on the end of its stalk in the wind that does not preach and proclaim the greatness and the mercy of God to the whole world.” – Thomas Merton

“My personal life may be crowded with small petty incidents, altogether unnoticeable and mean; but if I obey Jesus Christ in the haphazard circumstances, they become pinholes through which I see the face of God, and when I stand face to face with God I will discover that through my obedience thousands were blessed. ” – Oswald Chambers

Friday, February 15, 2013

When I Was a Child I Read Books by Marilynne Robinson


I lifted this book from my bibliophilic benefactress's house on Christmas Day. I planned on giving it back before leaving the United States, but then I fell deep enchantment by Robinson's writing, so it went with me on the plane. This has been known to happen; I was utterly taken up in the symphonic strains of her Gilead years ago.

But this is the not the stirring fiction of Gilead; this is biting, eclectic, plodding, genius essay-writing. Robinson manages to treat polemic subjects in innocuous, ironic, indirect yet wonderfuly pointed ways. This is such an important book for the USA right now.

This is essentially a book about the United States. Her essays are born out of her commitment to and study of American culture and history, and perhaps too her anguish at the current state of affairs. What makes this book so different from the sound bites and cynicism is that her tone is marked by critical commitment and hopeful realism (a phrase from Marva Dawn).

I should like to post more on this book's material in the weeks to come, but let it be known that this book is wonderful and important.

1 comment:

  1. Not to worry, Ben, I have replaced the book and look forward to reading it after your hearty recommendation!
    -Aunt Jo

    ReplyDelete